When To Repair And When To Replace Your CUE Radio
The radio that is installed in many newer Cadillac models is called CUE. It stands for Cadillac User Experience. CUE radios can be pretty glitchy. One of the most common problems with the CUE radio is the touchscreen. It can be under-responsive, sluggish, or just not work at all. If your CUE radio stops working, should you replace it or repair it?
It depends on several factors, including:
- The extent of the damage
- Whether your Cadillac is still under warranty
The first thing you want to do is to perform a hard CUE radio reset. It's actually not as complicated as it sounds.
How To Do A Hard CUE Radio Reset
Sometimes your CUE radio just needs a hard reset. For example, when the audio cuts out on your Cadillac CUE radio, a hard reset may fix the issue.
This guide will walk you through the process of performing a hard reset on your CUE radio. Here's how the process works:
- Start up your car.
- Open the CUE faceplate and then leave it up.
- Turn off the car.
- Leave the driver's door open for 30-60 seconds.
- Close the door and then start up your car again.
- Close the CUE faceplate.
It's an unusual process, but it may get your radio to work again.
Figure Out What's Wrong With The Radio
If your radio's still not working, it's time to roll up your sleeves and start troubleshooting. You want to rule out other issues first to confirm that the radio is in fact the problem.Ruling Out Other Parts First
Here's a troubleshooting guide for the Cadillac Escalade model. You can follow it if you have another Cadillac model. It'll show you how to rule out other parts:
- Light sensor
- Wiring and connectors
If all these parts seem fine, then it's likely that the radio is broken.Troubleshooting The Radio
If you know what's wrong with your radio, repairing it may be the better option. If you can't figure out what's wrong with it, then replacing it would be easier. It may also be more cost efficient. You don't want to spend money to have a technician attempt to fix the radio and fail.
To determine if it's worth repairing or replacing your Cadillac CUE radio, figure out what's wrong with it. The first thing to do is figure out what's not working: the display, the sound, or both.
The display may not work if:
- The LCD screen has spots on the screen
- There are grey lines running up and down the screen
- The screen is dimly lit with no backlight at all
- The screen is completely dead
The sound may not work if:
- There is no sound coming out of any of the speakers
- The radio sounds distorted
If your radio's sound works but your display isn't working, then the radio likely can be repaired. A part within the display (or the entire display) would need to be replaced. That may be cheaper than replacing the entire radio.
If the radio seems dead, or past the point of repair, then you're better off replacing it.
Why An OEM Replacement CUE Radio Is A Much Better Investment Than An Aftermarket One
If you're looking for a replacement CUE radio, you'll get so much more value out of an OEM unit. As much as it may seem like an aftermarket radio would be a better deal, you'd be wrong.
This comparison guide explains why OEM replacement radios and screens are a much better investment than aftermarket ones. To sum it up:
- Aftermarket replacement screens often come with fitment issues. One of the most common problems is misalignment with the mounting hole for controls or visible gaps between the screen and factory bezel.
- Often times, cheap replacements result in a lower-grade product. This should come as no surprise, as they're designed and built with low quality parts. As a result, your screen can begin to break down or fail after only a short time of use.
- Automotive replacement radios are often incompatible the vehicle’s electrical system.
- Aftermarket manufacturers rarely offer warranties for their parts. So if you have an aftermarket system fail early, you’ll be forced to buy a new one.
OEM or OE-quality replacement CUE radios don't come with any of these issues.
If you’re looking for a quality OEM or OE-quality CUE radio, ISS Automotive has just what you need. We offer quality remanufactured OE-quality CUE radios.
We make sure your new CUE screen is the same quality as the original part. We’ve been in business for over 70 years, and offer a 30-day warranty on each of our screens. All replacement screens are plug and play for easy installation. Check out our extensive catalog of remanufactured radios!
We Repair CUE Radios Too
At ISS Automotive, we repair CUE radios and screens, too. If you want to have your radio repaired, send it to us and our technicians will get right on it!