Dodge Charger Acceleration Delay: See Fix!
The Dodge Charger is known to have acceleration lag, or a delay after stepping on the gas pedal.
In this blog post, we will teach you about throttle response controllers and how these products help with accelerating your car.
Fix bad lag forever and accelerate how you want!
We will also show you how easy it is to install one of these devices yourself with plug-and-play kits that come complete with everything needed for installation.
After much research, our team is recommend ShiftPower Throttle Response Controller at this time >
What is better drive-by-wire or drive-by-cable?
In a drive-by-wire system (like in the Dodge Challenger), the electronics are in control of regulating throttle response. With a cable system, it is controlled by physical cables that run from one end to the other inside the car.
An electronic system is better because you can personalize the settings based on road conditions and the drive. Plus, you have more responsive acceleration.
Why the wire system brings better results
- The throttle position sensor reads the position and speed of your foot and then adjusts accordingly, instead of having to wait for cables to register movement.
- With a cable system, any lag in acceleration would be due to how fast the car's engine can respond, which might not be very quickly given its size.
This makes drive-by-wire the best option for those who want a response time that is more in sync with their foot motions.
What is drive-by-wire pedal delay?
Pedal delay is the time it takes for a driver's foot on the accelerator to cause a change in throttle speed. The delay or throttle lag in your Dodge is often added by the manufacturer on purpose because it's not always safe to have the car change speed instantly.
The lag helps to regulate this response for all driving conditions like rain, gravel, dirt, and so on. However, times are changing and there is a new breed of cars that can react faster than ever before - making your Charger or Challenger throttle delay frustrating.
What are some solutions?
There are two possible fixes for this problem that depend on how severe your lag problems may be:
- Plugging in an aftermarket tuner device inside your vehicle(s) dashboard.
- Add a throttle controller to the stock throttle body.
Eliminate drive-by-wire lag
Eliminate lag with a plug and play throttle response controller that plugs into the car's stock wiring harness. It's the fastest and easiest upgrade you can make for your Dodge.
The electronic throttle system inside your Dodge Charger or Dodge Challenger is known as a "drive-by-wire" which means it doesn't physically move like some older cars with mechanical throttles, but instead sends an electronic signal to control engine speed through the cables in the vehicle.
Lots of manufactures can have this issue including GM, Ford, Toyota and more. Click here to learn more about Toyota Throttle Response Controller >
How do I get rid of accelerator lag?
The best way to solve this problem is with either a throttle response controller or tuner, both of which plug into your Charger and replace some functions that normally require wires - such as shifting gears and engine timing adjustments.
This upgrade results in:
- Better responsiveness in your Dodge when accelerating so you don't have jerkiness under acceleration
- Smoother operation at highway speeds where gas consumption decreases
- Less wear on gearboxes due to torque being controlled through electronics rather than physical cables
- Getting more power out of the vehicle
The throttle response controller results in more fun. The product results in an immediate improvement to the sensitivity of the stock throttle position sensor and signal the vehicle.
What is a Dodge throttle response controller?
It's a device or product that attaches to your Dodge Challenger throttle pedal. These products increase the response time of the stock accelerator by using electronics instead of cables which can degrade over time.
The throttle controller uses different modes like sport mode, race modes, and so on. You can personalize the throttle controller using a phone and app which provides faster throttle response time.
By using an app you can set the throttle response curves. The curves you can select from and adjust are:
The best throttle controller solution should be a plug and play installation with easy-to-follow manual instructions. Not all are created equal, so make sure to research the best option!
Perhaps you want to learn about Jeep throttle response upgrades? As you can see many companies share in these delays or throttle lags. Dodge is not alone.
Throttle Controller for Dodge
See list below for vehicles covered:
- Dodge Charger throttle controller
- Dodge Durango throttle control
- Dodge Challenger throttle control
Key things to look for in a throttle controller
- Easy install
- Smartphone controls
- Real time view of performance
- Personalization options
- Security features
Does throttle controller increase horsepower?
No, a throttle response controller does not increase horsepower. Good news is that you can get up to speed faster by increasing RPM with improved throttle response.
What does a throttle control device do?
A throttle response controller or a/k/a accelerator pedal allows you to adjust the sensitivity of your pedal's input.
When installed properly in your Dodge, it will reduce lag time and increase RPMs. These controllers can also be used to increase fuel economy for those who want to try their luck at modifying their vehicle’s computer without tuning software.
These controllers simply give you access to your horsepower faster in your Dodge Charger. It's not that you will gain more power. You smooth out the demand for power as your gas pedal is pushed.
How do I install a throttle response controller?
The installation process takes 15 minutes and does not require any special parts or tools, other than a screwdriver.
All you need is to remove an OEM style plug on the accelerator wire harness (which has been designed specifically for easy removal). Then simply plug the controller into your vehicle’s stock throttle or pedal. There is an OEM style plug and connector on the throttle harness.
It's very easy to install. See the video below for more details.
This simple process will reduce lag time between pressing on the Dodge Challenger accelerator (gas) and an increase in speed.
Do throttle response controllers work?
Yes, they work! A throttle response controller device will reduce lag. In most cases it is very noticeable for the Dodge Challenger.
The cool part is that you can use a smart phone app to program the controller with your desired acceleration settings.
Key features to consider:
- The throttle response controller is plug and play for your Dodge Challenger. You will not need to cut or splice any wires for it to work properly.
- Plug and play installation takes about 30 seconds!
- Drive-by-wire systems are used on many new Dodge models including the Challenger, Charger, and Durango.
- A smart phone app connects the throttle response controller device via bluetooth to allow you change between custom tuned engine modes like “sport mode” that has been designed specifically for vehicles equipped with a drive-by-wire system. These features are usually only available through expensive aftermarket upgrades.
<Click to learn more to see if throttle controllers are worth the money >