How To Remove An Instrument Cluster In A 2003-2006 Chevy Suburban
A dead or malfunctioning instrument cluster is annoying, but you don't have to live with it. Rather than take it to a mechanic, you can do the job yourself. It's an easy process that only requires a few tools, and doing the job will save you money while making your gauges look like new again.
These steps are for a 2003-2006 Chevy Suburban, but should also work for a Chevy Tahoe, GMC Yukon, or GM trucks from the same years.
How To Remove The Instrument Cluster In Your Silverado
This video provides a good tutorial on how to remove the instrument cluster:
- To begin, you'll need to gather the following tools:
- Trim removal tool - you can use a flat-bladed tool, but this trim pry tool was made for the job and won't scratch up your dashboard
- Hex screwdriver
- Prepare your truck to work on it.
- Park your truck on a level surface and apply the emergency brake.
- Disconnect the battery.
- Tilt the steering wheel all the way down to make room to remove the instrument cluster.
- Once you have the tools and the truck is ready, take the trim tool and remove the dash panel from around the instrument cluster. You'll want to pry gently, being careful not to break any clips or gouge the plastic.
- Next use the hex screwdriver to unscrew the bolts holding the instrument cluster in place.
- Once the instrument cluster is loose, carefully pull it out of the dashboard and unplug the master connector.
Now you're ready to take your instrument cluster to a repair shop or replace it with a new one.
Repairing Or Replacing Your Instrument Cluster
When it comes to fixing your instrument cluster, you have two options:
- Order a new or remanufactured replacement instrument cluster.
- Send your instrument cluster to be repaired by a professional.
Either way, ISS Automotive can help.
If you decide to repair your instrument cluster, our experienced techs can diagnose the problem and fix it so it's good as new. We guarantee 48-hour turnaround, repaired and shipped, so you won't be off the road for long.
Or, you can order a replacement 2003-2006 Suburban instrument cluster from us.
Upgrading Your Instrument Cluster
You can have your instrument cluster customized while it's being repaired or replaced. At ISS Automotive, we offer the following popular customizations for your 2003-2006 Chevy Suburban:
- Different gauge faces
- LED lighting
- Custom needle designs
- Add additional gauges
Do you have any questions about repairing or replacing your instrument cluster? Feel free to contact us!