How To Fix A Ford Sync Blank Screen
Ford’s SYNC 3 is a modern infotainment system offering great connectivity and features. Unfortunately, some units have an issue where the screen can go completely blank. This can stop you from accessing several crucial vehicle functions. This can be both irritating and sometimes even dangerous.
This article looks into how you can fix your SYNC 3, from simple updates to comprehensive hardware repairs.
What Causes The Ford Sync 3 Blank Screen?
Image Credit: FocusRS.org
- Out-of-date software or software bugs
- Faulty APIM (Accessory Protocol Interface Module) - This part controls the SYNC system functions and processing
- Faulty FDIM (Front Display Module) - This is the component that controls the touchscreen
- LVDS (Low Voltage Differential Signaling Cable) - The cable running between the two modules mentioned above
What Can You Do About It?
The blank screen issue can sometimes resolve itself. But in most cases, it keeps happening. These are the things you can try to recover the screen:
Update your software
You will need to download the latest software to a USB stick and upload it to your SYNC 3. (If the system is completely blank, you will not be able to perform this fix.)
Get your vehicle’s VIN number and check for any updates on Ford’s SYNC system page.
Perform A Key Cycle
- While sitting in the car, turn it off. Make sure that it is not in accessory mode and that the radio is off as well.
- Open the driver’s door and then lock it.
- Close the driver’s door.
- Wait two minutes. Make sure that the radio display turns off.
- Restart your car.
Once the key cycle is complete, the display should be reset. This method usually works if the blank screen was caused by software bugs or glitches.
Perform A Reset
- Select the Radio button on your dashboard.
- Hold the Power button as well as the Right-Seek button down at the same time.
- The SYNC 3 display should show that it is resetting. Once you see this notification, you can release the buttons.
A reset should return your SYNC 3 to working order. If the problem remains, a hardware fault may be causing the issue.
Performing A Master Reset (For Intermittent Issues)
You can also reset all the car’s settings using the master reset option. This will put everything back to the factory settings, so you will need to pair your phone again. It requires you to access the SYNC 3 menu. So, it will only work if you are experiencing the blank screen issue intermittently.
- Start your car and make sure it is not in accessory mode
- Go into the Settings menu
- Select the General menu
- Scroll down until you see the Master Reset option
- Confirm that you want to do a complete Master Reset
If none of the above methods work, then it’s time to call ISS Automotive.
Get In Touch With ISS Automotive To Fix Your Sync 3
ISS Automotive has over 70 years of experience remanufacturing electronic and mechatronic components. If your SYNC 3 system continues to give you problems, send it to us, and we will rebuild it for you.
Our Ford Sync repair service is a simple process:
- Contact us at 1-800-548-1195 or at email@example.com to get the process started
- Ship us your SYNC 3 device (removing it is easy – remember to leave the SYNC 3 modules attached)
- Once received, we repair it within 24 hours and ship it back to you
We currently offer our rebuild service for the following 2016-2019 Ford models equipped with the 8-inch SYNC 3 system:
Each SYNC 3 undergoes a comprehensive clean, screen replacement, and thorough diagnostic check. We offer a 1-year warranty on all our SYNC 3 rebuilds. Contact our team online today or call 800-548-1195 for support.